Spiced Beef Stew
Pair with our Lytton Estate Syrah
Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 lbs of beef chuck stew meat
- 2 tablespoons of Ridge olive oil
- 3 carrots
- 6 stalks of celery
- 2 large sweet potato (Add the first sweet potato with the rest of the veggies, and the other one an hour later since it does tend to break down)
- 8 oz of mushrooms
- 8 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 liter of chicken or beef stock
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place beef into large bowl. Mix with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Coat the beef with cayenne, paprika, and chili powder.
- In a large stew pot, heat remainder oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown on all sides in a single layer, working in batches. Remove meat.
- Add garlic and onion to the pot. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots, celery, sweet potato, and mushrooms and stir. Add the meat back to the pot and mix. Add all remainder of spices and stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat so the mixture simmers slowly for 2 hours or more.