Grilled Lamb T-Bones, Pink Peppercorn & Pomegranate Glaze, and Minted Heirloom Carrots
Pair with Estate Cabernet
When you think T-Bones, you think beef. Well, time to discover Lamb T-Bones! This recipe combines great holiday flavors with a piquant pomegranate glaze, and the classic mint pairing with roasted carrots.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 8 lamb T-bone chops, cut approx. 1 ½ to 2 inches thick
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 teaspoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cracked pink peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 bunches of organic multi-colored baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 mint leaves, cut into chiffonade (very thin strips)
- Place the lamb T-bones into a self-sealing bag and pour in the red wine. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible, and marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes.
- While the chops lounge in the wine, prepare the pomegranate glaze.
- Pour the pomegranate juice into a medium saucepot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer until there is about ½ cup pomegranate juice remaining.
- Remove from heat and stir in a heaping tablespoon of pomegranate molasses. Add in the butter, a few pieces at a time, and stir until incorporated. Stir in the pink peppercorns and fresh thyme and season to taste with pink salt and black pepper. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Preheat grill to 450–550 degrees.
- Remove lamb from marinade and pour wine into a cup; reserving to flame chops with later on.
- Season the meat with pink salt and black pepper and grill over high heat for 3–5 minutes on one side. Flip, baste with pink pepper pomegranate glaze, and grill for an additional 3–5 minutes.
- When the chops are just about finished grilling, open grill lid, stand back, and drizzle the chops with reserved wine to flambé. Be careful, as the chops will ignite.
- Allow the flambé to burn out. Remove the chops from grill and serve drizzled with extra sauce and, when in season, garnish with a few pomegranate seeds. Serve alongside roasted carrots with mint.
- Cut the tops off of the carrots and wash, leaving the skin on.
- Toss in a bowl with everything but the mint.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Spread out on a cookie sheet and roast in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and scatter with the reserved fresh mint leaves.