The Golden Goose with Pomegranate Gremolata
Pair with Geyserville
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 3.5 hours
- 1 whole 10-12 pound goose
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Peanut oil or liquid fry oil as needed for fryer
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (available at specialty markets)
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 10 twists of black pepper from a pepper mill
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- Turkey Fryer*
- Meat Thermometer
- Paper Towels
- Butcher’s String
*Important Safety Precautions:
Use your deep fryer outdoors, at least ten feet from a building or vehicle for safety. Make sure you have patted the goose very dry inside and out before lowering into the oil. Wear protective clothing and gloves when around the hot oil. After frying, let the oil cool down overnight before storing or disposing of it.
- Prepare the deep fryer. Add oil to full line on the deep fryer. (Peanut oil is preferred.)
- Turn on gas and allow oil to heat to 325°F.
- While oil is heating, prepare the goose:
- Before frying, make sure the goose is fully thawed. Defrost goose for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
- Remove goose from its packaging. Then remove the neck and giblets from inside. Rinse the goose under cold water and pat very dry, both inside and outside.
- Mix salt, pepper and paprika together. Rub the goose inside and out with the seasoning mixture. Let rest.
- Tie the legs of the goose together. Load the goose on the spindle with legs down, so they go in the oil first.
- Slowly lower the goose into the hot oil and cover.
- Fry for 7.5 minutes per pound, until internal temperature at the leg joint reaches 180°F (place the tip of the thermometer into the leg joint where the thigh connects to the backbone).
- Keep oil at a constant 325°F while frying.
- Remove goose from the fryer very carefully and rest for 10 minutes.
- Add first seven ingredients (pomegranate seeds through salt) in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and whisk to combine.
Carve the goose and serve with pomegranate gremolata.
Share your #RidgeHolidayFeast pictures with us!