Red Wine Sausage, Mozzarella & Red Onion Pizza
Pair with Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 (8 ounce) portion of pizza dough
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound pork sausage
- 4 tablespoons Ridge Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 16 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons salt
- Dissolve yeast in water in mixing bowl and let sit for 2 minutes to bloom. Add olive oil, flour, and salt on top.
- Mix dough with dough hook on lowest setting for 5 minutes. Dough should come together into a ball. If it sticks to the sides add small handfuls of flour while mixing. If it’s too dry, sprinkle water into dough mix until looks looser.
- Let rise then divide into 6 equal portions (8oz each) and roll into tight balls to let rise again.
- Once they’ve risen, they’re ready to open and use. Open onto well floured pizza paddle.
- Puree tomatoes with all other ingredients in a food processor, blender or with a wand.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning as necessary.
- Mix the pork sausage with the red wine to fully incorporate.
- Ladle 2 ounces of tomato sauce onto open pizza dough, then add ½ cup shredded mozzarella and 3 ounces of red wine sausage and several strands of red onion.
- Bake in 500 degree oven for 12 minutes. Slice and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Pizza Politana