Crab Fondue with Spiced Pumpkin Flatbreads
Pair with Estate Chardonnay
Yield: Serves 4-6
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 Days
- 2 cups Chardonnay
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 10oz of grated Gouda cheese
- 10oz pack of cream cheese
- 6oz of grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 10oz fresh crab meat
- 1/2 bunch of green onions, minced
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
- 1/2 of a lemon
Spiced Pumpkin Flatbreads
Makes approximately 50 flatbread wedges
- 1 cup lukewarm water (about 100°F.)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon pure chile powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds* (about 5 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- coarse salt for sprinkling
- Bring first three ingredients to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and reduce by twenty five percent.
- Remove garlic cloves and bay leaves.
- Using a whisk, stir in the Gouda and cream cheese in intervals, whisking constantly
- until well incorporated and smooth.
- Fold in Parmesan and spices, followed by the crab and green onions.
- Season with kosher salt & a little white pepper.
- Squeeze in juice of half a lemon.
Spiced Pumpkin Flatbreads
- In a large bowl stir together lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Cut butter into bits and stir into yeast mixture with flour, cornmeal, chile powder, and table salt, stirring until mixture just forms a dough. On a lightly floured surface knead dough until smooth and butter is incorporated, about 5 minutes. Form dough into a ball and put in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to coat. Chill dough, covered with plastic wrap, 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F, and lightly flour 2 large baking sheets.
- Chop pumpkin seeds. (The finer they are chopped, the thinner the flatbread will be.) In a small bowl with a fork beat together egg and cold water until combined well to make an egg wash. Divide dough in half and chill one half, covered. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out remaining half of dough into an 1/8-inch-thick rough oval and sprinkle with half of pumpkin seeds. With rolling pin press pumpkin seeds into dough and roll dough as thin as possible.
- Brush dough with some egg wash and cut into irregular long thin wedges (about 6 by 1 inch). With a spatula transfer wedges to baking sheets and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste.
- Bake flatbread wedges in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes, and transfer to racks to cool. Make more flatbread wedges in same manner with chilled dough. Flatbread wedges may be made 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.