Classic American Burger
Pair with Lytton Springs
Active Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground chuck 80/20 blend
- 4 hamburger buns, preferably brioche, split and toasted
- 4 pieces of butter lettuce
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 4-8 pieces of crisp bacon
- Sliced avocado
- In a medium bowl, mix the ketchup with the mayonnaise, pickles, vinegar, dry mustard, cayenne and Old Bay; season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Light grill or preheat a grill pan.
- In a large bowl, season the chuck with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Gently mix the seasonings into the meat and shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Grill the hamburgers over moderately high heat for about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Set the burgers on the buns, top with the ketchup sauce, lettuce, tomato, cheese, bacon and avocado and serve.
* Recipe provided by Chef Jesse McQuarrie of Feast Catering
Shop Burger Wines