Chocolate Pudding Cakes with Zin Poached Dried Cherries & Chantilly Cream
Pair with Geyserville Essence
Yield: 24 (4 ounce) cakes
Chocolate Pudding Cakes:
- 1 1/2 pounds chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds butter, cut into pieces
- 16 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
Zin Poached Dried Cherries:
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 750 ml. bottle zinfandel
- 1/4 cup honey
- ½ teaspoon pepper corns
- 3 juniper berries – toast & crush
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Chocolate Pudding Cakes
- Organize aluminum cups on sheet tray and spray generously with pan spray
- Place chocolate in a medium heat proof bowl. Place butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Place the bowl of chocolate over the butter to warm the chocolate as the butter melts. When the butter has melted, pour over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted and set aside on top of an oven to keep the mixture warm.
- In a stand mixer, combine the eggs and sugar and beat on medium speed until just lemony yellow and doubled in volume, about three minutes.Whisk the flour into the chocolate mixture. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the hot chocolate mixture to the eggs all at once. Scrape down the side of the bowl and continue to mix for another 30 seconds, until well combined.
At this point you can bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or wrap and put into a freezer until you need them.
Zin Poached Dried Cherries
- Toast spices seperately
- Put everything but thyme in pan. Bring to a simmer – skim – add thyme. Simmer 15-20 minutes very gently. Strain – add cherries to pan.
Cover with juice – bring to a simmer – cook 3-5 mins. Strain juices – reduce until it coats the back of a spoon – fold into cherries.
Can be made up to one week before needed, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Place cream and sugar in a bowl, whip until soft peaks form. Serve immediately.