Chocolate Cocoa Nib Financiers
Pair with Geyserville Essence
Yield: 40 mini cakes (perfect for 6-8 servings)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1/8 cup almond flour or finely ground blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, such as Myers’s
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 stick unsalted butter, browned
- Vegetable cooking spray for the financier molds
- 1/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/8 cup cocoa nibs
- 2 (12 count) 2 ounce flexible silicon mini cupcake mold OR
- 2 (12 count) 2 ounce metal nonstick mini cupcake molds
- Sift together the confectioners’ sugar, almond flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder over a large bowl. Whisk in the egg whites, rum, and vanilla extract, until just combined.
- Whisk the honey into the butter, then add to the batter and whisk until everything is combined and lump-free. Cover the finished batter and refrigerate overnight or up to 4 days.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray cupcake molds with vegetable cooking spray. If using silicone molds, arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Transfer the chilled batter to a piping bag. Sprinkle 4 mini chocolate chips in each cup and top with the batter, filling almost to the top of each cup. Sprinkle cocoa nibs over the top.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the financiers spring back when lightly pressed and the sides tightly pull back from the edges of the molds. Remove the molds from the oven and leave them on the baking sheet. Let the financiers cool in the molds before removing. To serve, place on desired platter, dust with powdered sugar and cocoa powder, and enjoy! The financiers can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry environment for up to 2 days.