Braised Short Ribs Bonne Femme
Pair with Lytton Springs
Part of our Holiday Pairing Feast
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1.5 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8″ rounds
- 3/4 cup Spanish onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced ham
- Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Season the short ribs liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high and add the olive oil and one tablespoon of the unsalted butter.
- Add the short ribs and sauté until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove the ribs from the pan and set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the hot pan and sauté until tender and browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve.
- To the same hot pan, add the diced Spanish onion, ham, and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, adding a little butter if necessary.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook for two minutes longer.
- Season the red wine sauce with salt & black pepper to taste.
- Gently nestle the short ribs into the sauce, cover the pan and place pan in the oven, cooking until the beef is cooked through and fork tender, about two hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven, add the reserved potatoes, and return to the oven to cook an additional 15 minutes to heat the potatoes through.
- After the potatoes are heated through, remove the pan from the oven and place the beef on two heated serving plates.
- Add the parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to the potato/red wine sauce in the pan, stirring until they are well-incorporated.
- Divide the sauce over each portion, garnish with sliced green onions, and serve.
Share your #RidgeHolidayFeast pictures with us!