Baked Chicken “Bomba”
Pair with Mazzoni Home Ranch
- 3 lbs organic air chilled ground chicken – preferably dark meat
- 1/4 cup each of small dice onions, peppers and green onion tops
- 1 tablespoon each of oregano, parsley and mint – all snipped separately – do not cut too fine
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 grated parmesan or dry jack cheese
- 2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb whole cow’s milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated dry jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups of crushed whole tomatoes – fresh, if in season, otherwise canned
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cheese filling together and chill.
- Place all bomba ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Dip clean hands in ice water and form 8 equal sized meatballs (bombas). The mixture will be soft, just do your best to get the shape right. The colder this mixture is, the easier it is to shape.
- Form a hole in the center of each bomba with your thumb. The hole should be almost to bottom of bomba. Using a pastry bag or a spoon, fill the hole with the cheese mixture.
- Place bombas in a shallow casserole dish. Add tomatoes, stock and herbs. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve over basil mashed potatoes and enjoy.
Thanks to Chef Tony Najiola from the fantastic Central Market in Sonoma County (Petaluma), CA for the recipe pairing.