with fried plantains
1. Heat oil in heavy skillet (medium-high heat)
2. Add onion and garlic, sauté until beginning to brown
3. Add spices to taste and tomatoes, stir to heat through
4. Add beans, and heat through (about 5 minutes)
5. Mash beans with potato masher until about half of them are mashed
1. Cut plantains diagonally into 1/2 inch slices
2. Heat 1/3 cup or so of oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot (but not yet smoking)
3. Sauté plantain slices in batches until golden brown, 2+ minutes per side
4. Drain on paper towels and try not to eat them all before the beans and rice are ready
Put the beans over the rice and season with your favorite hot sauce. Add plantains on the side. It’s a simple recipe that celebrates Donna’s Carribean heritage.- DG
Complex zinfandel blends; Mazzoni is ideal.
Recipe by David Gates, Senior Vice President of Vineyard Operations for Ridge Vineyards. David’s duties include managing the historic Monte Bello vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains, the Whitton Ranch at Geyserville, and the Lytton Estate vineyards at Healdsburg, as well as monitoring and helping all Ridge growers in Sonoma, Napa, Santa Clara, and San Luis Obispo Counties. He and his wife, Donna, live at Monte Bello.