Easy Dungeness Crab Souffle
Pair with Ridge Estate Chardonnay
This is an easy recipe, that is sure to wow your guests or family. Fresh crab, and airy egg whites make for a posh and very “chefy” first course or brunch dish. Serve with a vibrant side salad of baby greens from your local farmers market, and of course, a glass of Ridge Chardonnay!
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (scalded)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- tabasco to taste
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups fresh crab- mixed with 1/2 red bell pepper & 4 green onions, minced
- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- cooking spray
- 1 cup grated parmesan for dusting cups
- 4 (4 ounce) ramekins or souffle cups
- Spray cups generously with cooking spray and dust with the parmesan
- Sweat onions in butter
- Add flour and cook several minutes, stirring occasionally to make roux
- Stream in milk, salt and pepper
- Cook, stirring continuously until mixture becomes thick
- Transfer mixture to a hotel pan and spread evenly. Allow to cool.
- Whip egg whites until frothy
- Add tartar and whip to stiff peaks, being careful not to over whip
- Fold crab mixture into roux mixture, check for seasoning (tabasco, white pepper, mustard powder, etc.) Fold in whites (may not need all of the whites).
- Scoop into ramekins and bake at 350° for 15 minutes, then check and bake until done, approximately 15-20 minutes longer.