#whatweretasting | 2015 Syrah Grenache Mataro
#whatweretasting is a digitized version of the Ridge Vineyards tasting experience. Bringing to life real-time tasting notes and impressions on both current releases and library wines, we encourage you to taste along with us and share your notes!
2015 Syrah Grenache Mataro
- Aroma: black currant, hints of mint, tea leaf
- Flavor: black plum, hints of pepper, good structure, integrated tannins
- Additional Notes: Will benefit from decanting; Medium acidity, tannin & body
- Wine Evolution: Drink or Hold
- Taster: Eliot – Lytton Springs Winery, Healdsburg, CA
- For our second release of this Rhone-style varietal blend, we selected grapes from three closely planted parcels at our Lytton West vineyard. The grapes were destemmed, but left to ferment as whole berries to moderate tannins and accentuate fruit. Syrah adds color and dark fruit while mataro (synonymous with mourvedre) and grenache contribute structure and aroma. Released as part of our ATP Membership Program.